Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dog Day Afternoon


Red Hook, July 12, 2008


Ahhhhhhhhhhh Summer! A magical time, especially in the streets of Brooklyn. I live across from what I feel is Olmsteads' finest in NYC (being from the Boston area, I have an affinity for the Arnold Arboretum and Franklin Park), Prospect Park. But I remember my old neighborhood, Carroll Gardens, in the dog days of summer. Hot Hot Hot! And the guys from the nickle and dime funeral home across the way standing across narrow Sackett Street screaming at one another as if from across the East River. And the car and bus fumes at the corner traffic light wafting up through my second floor window. Except when the air conditioner was on. I am amazed at surviving 15 summers in NYC, and I am not sure if I am really a better person for it, other than to say I lived through it. Summer in NYC induces crustiness, weariness, and general exasperation. Getting away however makes one all the more grateful for time shares, friends with timeshares who invite you out, friends who live near the beach, and the LIRR and New Jersey Transit. Oh, and the floating pool in Brooklyn Heights too! I'm going to be doing both this summer: whining and whinging and grinning widely when I dip my toes in the waters at Smiths Point. Ahhhhhhhhh Summer!

No comments: